Circuit Court Bench Bar Committee
The next Committee meeting will be held on March 1, 2017.
The following issues were raised at the February meeting of the Committee:
Clerk of the Court Barbara Meiklejohn
Changes in the Family Department:
• We are in the process of looking at our procedures in the Family Department.
• One of the first changes to be made is what is considered a “rush”
• New filings will not be treated as “rushes”. The clerks will take the filing and work these files in the normal course of business. If you would like a phone call once the summons is ready, you can leave your phone number and one of the clerks will call you.
• We have been informed that there are concerns about the amount of time it is taking for Family Orders to be sent out.
• If you have any concerns about the timeliness of orders please contact the Manager of the Family Department, Patricia Escobar 240-777-9429.
• In Montgomery County Office of Child Support Enforcement (MCOCSE) cases the clerks will not accept filings for Custody or Visitation in that file. The moving party will have to file in a new case.
• On requests for Guardians Ad Litem, attorneys should contact Madeline Jones at 240-777-9061.
• The Family Law Self Help Center will start offering Tuesday evening hours from 5 – 8 pm beginning March 7th.
The Mental Health Court is up and running in both the District and Circuit Courts.
Kid’s Spot is proudly serving many children but the numbers of kids using the facility are down. If you know of families in need of Kids Spot, please refer them to the office on the 1st floor of the courthouse.
The criminal office has been moved to the North Tower area where Appeals were previously handled.
If you have any concerns to bring to the Committee’s attention, please feel free to contact any Committee member or Co-Chairs David C. Merkin at (301) 762-9200 or email@example.com; Jeremy Rachlin at (301) 913-2948 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Michael A. Taylor at (301) 251-2772, email@example.com.