Family Law Section
2015-2016 Section Meeting Dates
• January 28, 2016
• February 25, 2016
• March 24, 2016 **5:00 p.m. in Courtroom 1; (Family Law Magistrates’ Roundtable)
• April 28, 2016
• May 26, 2016 **Practitioner of the Year Award Dinner (Time and Place TBD.)
** Please note that all Family Law Section Meetings are approximately 1 hour long and will take place at 5:30 p.m. in the Bar Office, CLE Classroom, except as otherwise noted.
We will not have a Section Meeting in December in light of our Annual Holiday Party, and the general hustle and bustle of the holiday season. The Annual Holiday Party will be held on Thursday, December 10, 2015, from 5:30-8:00 p.m. at Delaney McKinney. This is one of the most festive and well-attended events of the year, so be sure to pre-register for the party to guarantee your spot! The cost for attorneys and guests is $45 if your registration is received by December 1st and $50 if received after December 1st or at the door. The cost for Court & Bar Association Staff is $20. Please contact Linda Lane (email@example.com or 301-913-5236) to register or for more information.
Last but certainly not least, we’d like to thank the Honorable Judges John M. Maloney, Karla N. Smith, Terrence J. McGann, and David A. Boynton, who spoke at our November Section Meeting and shared their perspectives from the bench.
Please plan to attend our December CLE, The Monetary Award: Practice Tips and Avoiding Pitfalls on Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 5:30-8:30p.m. in the Bar CLE Classroom. We will hear from Glenn Cooper, Casey Weinberg Florance, Kevin Hessler, Rhian McGrath, Ronald Ogens, Scott Strickler, and distinguished members of the bench on a variety of significant aspects, including:
(1) The Rule 9-207 Statement, and Marital Debt: Strategy, Preparation, Preservation of Claims, Agreements to Exclude Property, Binding Effect, Beck v. Beck, and Implications;
(2) “Extant” property and what constitutes dissipation of marital assets;
(3) The continuing importance of tracing source of funds in the acquisition of assets, and the effect of commingling marital and non-marital funds;
(4) Presenting FL §8-205 Mandatory Monetary Award Factors at Trial: From Opening to Closing - Strategy, Emphasis, Evidence, Proving Value, and the Court’s Weighing of Factors;
(5) Obtaining Transfer of deferred compensation/retirement assets, family use personal property, and transfer or buy-out of the jointly owned principal residence; and
(6) Some unique assets: Survivors benefits, accrued leave, airline miles, stock options, MUTMA accounts and 529 plans.
Social Media Committee
The Family Law Section is now online! For all section information, upcoming events, presentations, and CLEs please “like” our Facebook page: BAMC Family Law Section which is regularly updated with all the Section’s happenings. Find us at www.facebook.com/bamcfamilylaw. Want to see or post pictures from our great events? Follow us on Instagram @BAMCFamilyLaw. Please join our LinkedIn group to find out more about upcoming CLEs and section presentations, read articles by our esteemed presenters, and join in the conversation about the presentations! You can find our LinkedIn group at:
Got an exciting upcoming event? Contact the Social Media Sub-Committee Chairs, Emily Gelmann and Sara Cimino to post it on our social media!
• Holiday Party – Thursday, December 10, 2015 from 5:30 to 7:30 at Delaney McKinney
• Spring Happy Hour – Thursday, March 10, 2016, location TBD
• End of Year Dinner/Practitioner of the Year Award – TBD in May or June 2016
Sandra A. Brooks
Christina M. Hughes
Christopher W. Roberts
December 10, 2015**
January 28, 2016
February 25, 2016
March 24, 2016
April 28, 2016
May 26, 2016
All meetings will be held on the 4th Thursday of the month at 5:30 p.m. in the CLE Classroom of the Bar Association building, unless otherwise noted.
October 15, 2015 -- Fall Happy Hour @ Bar Louie
December 10, 2015 -- Holiday Party
March 10, 2016 -- Spring Happy Hour
May or June 2016 -- End of Year Dinner
December 2, 2015